Know Interesting fact about Sanchi
Sanchi Stupa is a Buddhist monument located in Raisen district of Madhya Pradesh it is also called as state of Buddha, which was built by Emperor Ashoka in the 3rd century BC.
The Stupa of Sanchi was built as a center for Buddhist study and education.
Before it was surrounding of the stupa by many Hut which was made from wood and clay, which was destroyed during sungha period.
Location : Sanchi is situated about 46 KM from Bhopal. And situated at a distance of 10 km from Besnagar and Vidisha, Sanchi is a small village situated in Raisen district of Madhya Pradesh.
The Sanchi Stupa located here is a symbol of love, peace, faith and courage. The Sanchi Stupa and the imposing archway around it and the sculptures on them are one of the best examples of ancient architecture and sculpture in India.
In the inscriptions found from Sanchi, this place has been designated as ‘Kaknadbot’. The fame of Sanchi remained till the Rajput period, but later it was lost in oblivion. The Sanchi was vandalized by Pushyamitra Shungain in mid of 2nd Century BC, but later his son reconstruct the Sanchi monument between 187- 78 BC.
The Ashoka pillar is the famous monument in the world which is also found at the Sanchi. These pillar is also called as Ashoka Pillar. Most of the Ashoka Pillars Carved with special monument over the top of it. Like Sarnath and the same as in Sanchi with four Lions. which is also represent in the state emblem symbol which was adapted from the Sarnath Lion Capital of Ashoka.
Information related to the Stupa of Sanchi :
- The Stupa of Sanchi was built by the Maurya Emperor Ashoka in the 3rd century BC
- It is believed that Ashoka built this stupa here because his wife Devi, who was the daughter of a merchant from Vidisha, was related to Sanchi.
- From the fourteenth century until it was rediscovered by General Taylor in the year 1818,
- Sanchi remained away from the knowledge of the general public. The Stupa of Sanchi was repaired from 1912 to 1919 under the leadership of Sir John Marshall.
- Sir John Marshall established the Archaeological Museum at Sanchi in 1919, which was later replaced by a new museum building on the base of the hill of Sanchi in the year 1986.
- Stupa No.-1 or ‘Great Stupa’ at Sanchi is the oldest rock formation in India, which is the most important monument of the relics of the Buddha are found in Sanchi Stupa.
- The inscriptions of Brahmi script are engraved in Sanchi especially Stupa No.-1.
- The diameter of the Sanchi Stupa is 36.5 m. And the height is about 21.64 m.
- The first stupa built by Emperor Ashoka after adopting Buddhism was the Sanchi Stupa.
- Sanchi is a place of historical importance in Buddhism, while Buddha never visited Sanchi.
- Sanchi was built as a center for Buddhist studies and education in
- Similar to the Ashoka Pillar found from Sarnath, on which four lions are made.
- An Ashoka Pillar has also been found from Sanchi. These pillars were built in Greco-Buddhist style
- The Stupa at Sanchi is a symbol of Buddha’s Mahaparinirvana.
- In 1989, it was granted the status of a World Heritage Site by UNESCO.